Sunday, December 1, 2019

Workers in the Computer Ecosystem

The Computer economy succeeded because it had jobs. Just as the Industrial economy before it.

My ancestors came from Europe in search of those jobs. And felt privileged to get them.

Much later, I went to college and became an Electronic Engineer in 1959. But Solid State made my job obsolete in 1980. I needed a job.

I became a Technical Writer, a job that paid well and I enjoyed it at first - helping users understand the products that they bought. But gradually it shifted and I became part of Marketing - making the company, and its products, look good. Whether they were good or not.

In the Nineties, the Internet arrived and disrupted everything, Eventually, the Industry stabilized with four large companies: Google, Amazon, Apple, and Microsoft. But for twenty years, things were very unsettled. During that time I moved to Costa Rica.

If I had been smarter, I would have become a Software Developer, programming in languages such as Java. I would have become a member of the Technical Upper Classes, making a lot of money, and working wherever I wanted.

As it is, I can only watch this happening on my Laptop, in my bedroom.

I can see there are no workers in the Software ecosystem. And I can see no one understands this.

You have to be part of that strange world before you can understand it. I was part of it but didn't move fast enough to become completely part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment