Tuesday, June 30, 2009

ADHD

My youngest sister mentioned this in a recent email. She was having a hard time coping with it--in others. I didn't even know what it meant. So I looked it up on Wikipedia. Then I went on with my breakfast. I didn't think it applied much to Costa Rica, where I live now.

Then it came to me that it did--I know people down here that act that way. One of them is a gringo who is always bragging about his money-making projects--whether you want to hear about them or not. They always have a fantastic future, even though his many projects in the past have always fizzled. He is hyperactive this way, although I never categorized him this way before. I just thought he was a loud-mouth.

And I know a young Tico who cannot pay attention to his business, which really needs it, but has grand plans to become all kinds of things: a opera singer, a ballet dancer, or an actor. If he were still an adolescent, this would be understandable, but he isn't. He takes after his mother, who is also flits from one obsession to the other, never settling down.

1 comment:

  1. My friend Jane says:

    No, I think it's pretty much an American thing. It's often applied to children who have a hard time sitting still and paying attention. Adults can be diagnosed as well. I think wayyyy more research needs to be done to confirm its etiology.

    ReplyDelete