Sunday, December 27, 2009

Bugs Inside: What Happens When the Microbes That Keep Us Healthy Disappear?

Scientific American
Bacteria, viruses and fungi have been primarily cast as the villains in the battle for better human health. But a growing community of researchers is sounding the warning that many of these microscopic guests are really ancient allies. 
Having evolved along with the human species, most of the miniscule beasties that live in and on us are actually helping to keep us healthy, just as our well-being promotes theirs. In fact, some researchers think of our bodies as superorganisms, rather than one organism teeming with hordes of subordinate invertebrates.
I find this interesting, so interesting that I subscribed to Scientific American again: to the tune of nearly fifty dollars. I was just congratulating myself on my solid bank balance, but there have been so many post-Christmas sales that I cannot resist, it is going away fast.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder about information like this from SA, because writers must write regardless of other matters. For example Naomi Wolfe wrote about the coming takeover of the USA by its military, which didn't happen or hasn't yet.

    Then what about those Africanized honey bees that were supposed to attack all of us, and even the nice kind of honey bee that was supposed to have disappeared already? These subjects are more a writer's agenda than anything real.

    I now wonder if there were ever really any "America Haters" out there at all, or did that idea just serve the Bush administration well in their efforts to characterized any terrorists. So far I nor anybody I know has ever been killed or even harmed in the slightest by terrorists.

    Winston Smith has just awoken.

    ReplyDelete