Saturday, December 5, 2020

My Balance Disorder

I can no longer ride a bicycle. The last time I tried, I fell down, broke my arm, and had to go to the hospital. 

A balance disorder is a disturbance that causes an individual to feel unsteady, for example when standing or walking. It may be accompanied by feelings of giddiness, or wooziness, or having a sensation of movement, spinning, or floating. Balance is the result of several body systems working together: the visual system (eyes), vestibular system (ears), and proprioception (the body's sense of where it is in space). Degeneration or loss of function in any of these systems can lead to balance deficits.

Two days ago, I went shopping, putting my groceries in a two-wheel shopping cart. While I was putting the groceries in the refrigerator, I fell down and could not get up. I did not panic, just laid there on that cold tile floor, for a while. No perment damage was done. 

Ray bought me a folding cane, a clever thing that helps me keep my balance. 

I might buy a Trike, a three-wheel bicycle, but they cost $400., and will have to be assembled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment