Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Rust Belt

I was born in born (in 1936) in my father's home town of Ft. Madison. Iowa. on the Mississippi River.

The West End of town (where we lived ) was dominated the Santa Fe Railroad.
The End End by the Sheaffer Pen company. It was an industrial city of about 15.000 people.

WWII made a boom for the railroads. and every other business. especially munitions.

We bought a new house.in Ft. Madison. and in 1947. moved to my mother's home town of Nauvoo, Illinois, across the River. A fruit-growing town of about 1,000 people. It was beautiful, and I loved it.

However, as described, by Wikipedia, the American Midwest become the American Rust Belt, with few jobs, and little manufacturing,

There were plenty of Offices, places where people like me hated to work.


















eik

No comments:

Post a Comment