Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Being a Decent Person

I am thinking about this, this morning.

And for me, thinking is an important part of the process. You have to think about what kind of person you want to be, and talk to other people about it,  before you can work at becoming that kind of person.

This is what people were doing during the Enlightenment. And the result was America, and one of its symbols: the Statue of Liberty, in New York Harbor.

This Statue would never be erected today. Why? Because our concept of Liberty has changed that much.

I noticed this when I ran a support group in San Diego in the Eighties. All we did was sit on the floor in my apartment in a big circle, and talk about ourselves. There was only one rule: only one person would talk at a time.

It worked, as long as the high-tech boom in San Diego lasted, which wasn't too long.

The best-laid plans of mice and men ...

No comments:

Post a Comment