Sunday, May 24, 2020

How my Parents died Rich

I hate to admit it, but our savior was the RLDS Church. Who bought my parent's property in Nauvoo, Illinois for an indecent sum.

Why so much money? Because my parents were Church members, and they wanted to make them rich.

Allow me to begin my story in Ft. Madison, Iowa, right after WWII. My father owned a Photography Studio then and made lots of money during the War.

The best place to spend that money was in my mother's home town of Nauvoo, Illinois, just across the Mississippi River.

They bought two acres right on the river. And moved a house from uptown down to it.

My father tried to start two new businesses but failed at both of them. Things didn't look so good.

The Church, however, decided to build a new Visitors Center, to show tourists the RLDS church was as good as the LDS church. That was busy buying up the rest of the town. This was built close to the highway that ran through the town.

And close to our house. Suddenly, we were rich!

No comments:

Post a Comment