Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Joseph and Martha

I am reading  The Memoirs of President Joseph Smith III (1832 - 1914), Published by the Herald House in 1960. This is a large book, consisting of copies from the Saints Herald, It starts on page 1413. When young Joseph is visiting Liberry Jail with his mother. Martha. I have copied what follows from page 1934.

I remember that later I visited that Jail at Liberty when my father and others whose names have passed into history were confined when which followed Doniphens  refusal to "march the prisoners the puplic square and there shoot them to death." There were present in that prison Uncle Hyrum Smith, Caleb Baldwin, and a singer whom my memry seems to serve mtmus right was Erstmus Snow. He sang two ditties which made an empresion on me. One was called called "The Massacre at the River Raison," which referred to buthchuring of Americans in the war upon the nothwest borders...I was fond of music, and thus was allowed to spend the nigfht there with my father. 

Why his father was confined in that jail is not mentioned by anyone, including his mother. 

No comments:

Post a Comment