Friday, March 20, 2020

They do not want to Understand their Lives

This was what I learned when I last visited the USA.

My cousin, who lives in Northern Virginia (part of the DC complex) was the perfect host and made me feel right at home.

He was from the Cleveland Ohio area and went to college to be a Social Worker. But could not stand this kind of work. He was married at the time, with children. His wife left him in disgust, taking the children with her. He was still a young man, but a complete failure.

Fortunately, he had a Sister who lived in the DC area, and she and her husband invited him to live with them while he got his life sorted out. He did this and took Adult Education courses, which included tests to see what occupations he was suited for. He then took surveying courses and got a job as a surveyor. And remarried.

When I visited him, a few years ago, he was a successful surveyor, and owned a fine house, with his wife. He told me his story, and I was impressed with it. But when I asked him what make his life in Ohio so terrible - he would not talk about it. That was one subject he would not touch.

Why? Because that would be understanding his life back then.

No comments:

Post a Comment