Monday, November 30, 2020

Do I Like the Computer?

I keep trying, but it's not an easy thing to like. 

It is trying, but I'm not an easy person for computers to like. 

As a way out of this, I am asking myself how I got interested in Computers in the first place. Was this my fault, or its fault? Or neither one? 

Back in the Fifties, I became an Electronics Engineer (U of Illinois, 1959). which meant I became an expert on vacuum tubes. These were just what their name implied: glass tubes with a vacuum inside them. That allowed electrons to flow through them. Hence the name: Electronics.

Electrons could move fast, making them high-speed devices, suitable for controlling Radio waves. And Radar was born. It would fire short bursts of radio waves and then wait for a reply. The time for a reply indicated how far away the target (an airplane) was. 

Very useful, and they were rapidly improved, and I had a lucrative career in the Cold War. 

No comments:

Post a Comment