Saturday, January 20, 2018

Amazon HQ2

I have been looking at this image, and thinking about it. I would divide it into three categories - Being Considered, Probably not Being Considered, and Not Being Considered. I list them, from West to East:

Being Considered

Los Angeles. You could hardly miss with this one - it's a number of cities, all different. You can take your pick. 

I'm surprised San Diego was not considered. When I was there in the Eighties, there was an excellent University there, and a lot of companies. But when I left in the late Eighties, lot of other people left also. Probably Amazon didn't want to back a losing horse. 

For Chicago, the same factors apply. It has everything. 

Toronto is in the same category. I haven't heard anything bad about it. It doesn't even have any slums! 

New York City. Another megapolis, containing the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island - and Newark, just across the river. 

Boston. This place has everything, and I mean everything. 

Philadelphia - maybe.

Raleigh - another maybe.   

Probably Not Being Considered

You have to consider these locations in the light of the heavyweights above. Amazon wants to show how fair it is, in giving them a chance. Housing is probably cheaper here.

Denver. According to my sister, this has a severe water shortage.

Nashville. I know nothing about this place - it might be a good buy, and it might not.

Indianapolis. Another town I know nothing about, but it might be a good deal.

Columbus, Ohio. A college town, but that's all I know about it.

Atlanta, Georgia - they even got it misplaced on the map,

Miami - In the Deep South, with lots of money-laundering banks. Plenty of money, but not much else. 

Not Being Considered

Pittsburgh - you gotta be kidding.

Washington, DC - Northern Virginia, and Montgomery County, This was included for political purposes, to keep the Feds happy

No comments:

Post a Comment