Tuesday, January 16, 2018

We Live in a Commercial World

Adcreep: The Case Against Modern Marketing

I got the title for this posting from this book. Where he uses it to explain why Marketing is necessary, but should be regulated - he is a law professor also.

I spent 10 years in Silicon Valley where I saw the latest kind of cut-throat business practices and advertising practices. I thought to myself "If people could see what is going on behind the scenes here - they would put the whole bunch of us in jail!"

I was so naive, and didn't realize this could have been said many times in the past - but only a few went to jail, or had their heads chopped off.

Most lived comfortably inside the system, and a few got rich off it. And a few went crazy. I was one of those who went crazy - I was too sensitive for that brutal world.

I had every kind of therapist imaginable - even one who specialized in highly-sensitive people. She knew we existed (she was one of them herself) but her only strategy, was to be part of it!

This is the standard response "You gotta be part of it, no matter what." There is another solution for some however: change your scene, and make another life for yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment