Monday, January 1, 2018

Marx and Software

I am reading Classical Sociological Theory - and enjoying it.

To my surprise, it begins with the work of Karl Marx - someone I was prepared to hate. But after reading him, I can begin to like him. I quote from page 23 of the book:

In the new world of the future, human beings will become conscious producers, and free to engage in  creative pursuits, beyond the dictates of the labor market. 

This was written in 1844. Computers and Software would not come along until a hundred years later. When they did arrive, they would make Capitalism stronger and weaker at the same time. 

Software developers (and everyone else, for that matter) would work in two economies - the Market Economy and the Computer Economy. 

People will still say "Nothing has changed!" When everything has changed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment