Friday, March 23, 2018

Computer Simulation of Human Behavior

First, I have to clarify some terminology - emulate and simulate. I prefer simulate, that is defined by the Wiktionary, as

To model, replicate, duplicate the behavior, appearance or properties of.

In software, Artificial Intelligence (AI) claims to do this for human intelligence - and is successful in some areas, such as translating between languages. 

But I hardly need tell you, it is useless in predicting human behavior, in general. 

Yesterday, while eating an excellent Subway sandwich - I had the chance to watch women of all ages, walk by, at a busy intersection (I was not much interested in the men). I saw some amazing legs, walking in shorts, so short - it was a wonder they could still operate. 

Can a computer (equipped with a visual interface) register this same kind of interest?

No comments:

Post a Comment