Saturday, November 30, 2019

What Facebook is Doing to Us

MIT Technology Review

This article spends most of its time reporting on events in Silicon Valley and Stanford University.

She says:

But after Harris’s talk at Stanford, I started thinking a lot more about how I get sucked into watching auto-playing ads for bras and shoes that I actually do kind of want to buy. And how I feel when I get a notification on my smartphone that someone liked, or loved, or retweeted, one of my posts on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. There’s definitely a little charge in my stomach and a ping in my brain, and I really, really like it. I crave it, even, after putting up a particularly adorable baby photo or cleverly worded status update, and getting one of these notifications inevitably induces me to open whichever social app it came from to see what’s going on. Am I just going to keep liking photos on Facebook, retweeting funny tidbits on Twitter, and feeding the AI that runs these networks until I keel over and die?

I don't use  Facebook myself, and the reason for this is simple: there are other apps I can use that do a better job. 

For example: Blogger, that I am using right now. I like doing a better job (even if is more work) but most people prefer doing whatever is easiest. I like being myself, but most people like being nothing

And this is what Facebook makes very easy: being nothing

This what Rachel Metz is saying: the Social Media has got her hooked, but she doesn't know how it does this. And probably doesn't want to know. 

She will keel over and die, we all will. But there is another possibility: we can hide behind Facebook and let the world see it, instead of us. 

It will die, everything does, but we will live on in the Cloud that contains everything that ever was, including Facebook. 

We will be Crucified, but rise again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment