Saturday, September 26, 2020

The Office Destroys the People in It

When I start thinking about this, I start thinking about my cousin Al, who had a rough experience working in an Office, in Ohio. 

He graduated from college as a Social Worker, and as a married man, with children. How he arrived at this state, I do not know, but it did not last, because he could not stand his job

This is a common situation, there are many people who do not like their jobs, but put up with them anyway. Al's reaction was extreme, and he had to quit work, much to his wife's disgust, who took the children and left him. 

He was a failure, at an early age, and it's a wonder he was not locked up in an insane asylum. 

But he had a sister, and her husband, who invited him to live with them, in Northern Virginia, while he got his life straightened out

He enrolled in Adult Education courses which gave him tests, to see what kind of work he was suited for. These indicated he could work as a surveyor. So he took surveying classes and got a job as a surveyor. 

He remarried, and with his new wife, acquired a fine house. He was a success!

When I visited him, several years later, He told me his story, which amazed me. But I was also amazed by his refusal to understand how he got to where he was!

He is a Good American, who enjoys the good life without thinking about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment