Friday, February 15, 2019

I do not Tweet

I also do a little programming, and I have noticed that programmers often blog, but never twit. It doesn't go with the territory.

American culture went through several phases in the last part of the last Century. And since I was an American, I went through them too.

First, I was an Electronic Engineer (U of Illinois, 1959) and made gobs of money in the Cold War, working for the American Military. This career ended when Solid State made the Vacuum Tube obsolete, shortly before the USSR became obsolete also.

Instead of rejoicing, that we had barely missed turning ourselves into radioactive waste, I had a bigger problem - I had no job!

The solution was looking me right in the face - the Computer Revolution. You probably did not hear about this, but it was making lots of jobs. Just when it was destroying the Industrial Economy. I had to switch from one economy to another - or starve!

From 1980 to 2010, hundreds of companies (and thousands of their employees) were reduced to Apple, Google, Amazon, Facebook and Microsoft - and their employees. No one kept track of overall results, but this was a huge change.

I wish I could say America got better, as a result. But all I can say was that I got out - and moved to Costa Rica.






No comments:

Post a Comment