Tuesday, August 4, 2020

A Srange American Down Here

This, in itself, is nothing strange. Any Gringo (American or Canadian) down here is going to be strange. 

But this guy was extra strange, I will explain. 

He could live on next-to-nothing - in one room. I can do this too, but I have more than one room. 

He had lived in a backpacker place that has since shut down. But moved to another place (still one room) that also fed him two meals a day. 

The people here thought he was normal and treated him that way - a big advantage, since he sometimes acted strangely, and went for long walks by himself. 

Then one day he announced he had a job in Colombia, a country in South America with a troubled past. He disappeared.

Then, three months later, he reappeared. I was desperate to know what happened! "It didn't work out, he said" This was no explanation, so I pressured him for more.

"I am a Mormon!" He said. This was an explanation?

For him, his religion was his whole life. And he expected the same from all the women he met in Columbia. 

They didn't see it that way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment