Friday, August 14, 2020

Black Slums

Much of our urban landscape has turned into these. 

I noticed this especially when I went to the Unitarian church in Washinton, DC. I lived and worked in Northern Virginia, but sometimes ventured into the inner depths of DC.  This church was trying to cure the terrible conditions there. 

It hired a social worker to teach the women in the slums about birth control. And it sent men (including me) to a place, for boys (mostly black) who had no home. 

How these slums develop, I do not know. I only know living close to them is a challenging experience most people avoid. 

I would like to see maps made, showing where these places are, and how they getting better or worse. They could also show different kinds of slums, such as Hispanics. 

The attitude of most Americans toward this is simple: they don't care, and they don't expect it to change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment