Monday, December 4, 2017

Want a Good Job? Learn Software.

I knew this back in 1980, when my career as an Electronic Engineer was ended by the replacement of Vacuum Tubes with Solid State technology - and I could see the future was in Computers.

This meant I would have to go back to college and get a new degree, of some kind - what kind, I was not sure. As a result, I did nothing, but lived off my savings.

When they ran out, I became a technical writer, because I had a technical background, and I could write. The pay was good, but the work was frustrating, because every company I worked for - soon went out of business. The computer industry was just beginning, and didn't have its act together yet.

Now, thirty years later, it is getting its act together - and the advances in Software Development are astonishing. And there are many online courses that will teach you these skills - for free.

But all the young people I know - are not interested. Learning (of any kind) sounds like work to them - and they only want to play.

What will happen is familiar enough - one percent will get ahead, and the rest will go nowhere. They will not die, as they used to, in large numbers - but they will not be happy with their lives either. In a word - they will be depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment