Saturday, February 10, 2018

The Knowledge Economy

What Happens When the Richest U.S. Cities Turn to the World?

Before you can be a knowledge worker, you have to be. And that immediately eliminates most Americans - who have ceased to exist, and are determined to remain that way. If this means they not part of the future - that's the fault of someone else. 

One shocking thing I learned from reading this article, was that Chicago was on its way down. It doesn't have the intelligence to play with the big guys anymore. It was the hog butcher for the world, but that is not cutting it anymore. 

This process began back in the Fifties, when the American Midwest manufactured most of the world's products. It is now the Rust Belt, that manufactures nothing. The people there have no idea how this happened - and don't even know that it did happen. When you know nothing - you know nothing. 

Without realizing it, I was part of this trend. I worked as an Electronic Engineer in the Midwest, in the Sixties and Seventies. I then moved to Hightech California - not because I was smart, but because that was where the jobs were. 

And that was where the jobs were, because that was where the smart people were, who needed other smart people around them. I wasn't so smart myself, but I gravitated toward people who were. And who were building their own support system - that included me. 

I am looking for someone to help me - and they are looking for someone to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment