Friday, February 23, 2018

Which IDE for Me?

Software, it seems to me - is where it is. And this is where I want to be.

And once I made that decision, I had to decide which software community to join. Software is a social process, and who you are with, makes a huge difference.

The most obvious choice was Microsoft, because they seemed to have everything. Including their flagship IDE, Visual Studio - that has everything imaginable. But that was a problem - everything is too much! Too much memory, and too complicated to run. I bought a cheap, litle Windows 10 laptop to install it on - but after many tries, I had to give up. Perfection was beyond me.

The Java Programming language, is not the latest one around - but it has staying power, and is very popular. Being part of this crowd, would be easy.

And it has an excellent IDE: Eclipse - that I could download easily on my Windows 7 laptop. But not not my Windows 10 laptop, that doesn't seem capable of doing much of anything. You have to have an expensive machine to be an Windows 10 programmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment