Friday, July 20, 2018

The powerful resistance to making good software

I noticed this when I worked in Silicon Valley in the Nineties. I saw programmers produce defective software deliberately, and companies that wanted them to do this. And an entire culture, that overlooked this strange state of affairs. I am tempted to go into this in more detail. but that will have to be another posting.

Looking back at it, I can see a clash between two civilizations. One based on Hardware, and one based on Software. The transition to Software is inevitable, but it will be resisted as long as possible.

The EU does not understand this, but feels threatened by the American dominance in Software. It does not realize that Software produces its own business monopolies - that are inevitable and beneficial.

For example, I just bought a new Laptop, and I had no choice but to buy a Windows 10. I bought one with 8 Gb of RAM, and will install Google's Chrome browser on it. This will give me the best of two worlds.

If you buy one with only 4 .Gb of RAM, you you can only use Microsoft apps - that are much more limited.

It is up to you, to get in bed with the best combination possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment