Wednesday, April 24, 2019

The Barber Shop in Orosi

I went there yesterday to get my haircut and my beard trimmed. While I was sitting there, I wished the folks back home could see me.

The contrast between there and the American scene was extreme, and could not be put into words.

The barbers here are young men who learn their trade by helping each other along. Their jobs do not last long, which is unfortunate, but typical of many jobs here, especially in the small towns, where businesses do not last long.

There is not much money in the local economy, and it is spread thin.

Any money here comes from outside of town. We are surrounded by coffee fields, but there is not much money in that.

This area does have plenty of water, most of which is sent to the center of the country. where most of the people live.

No comments:

Post a Comment