Thursday, June 13, 2019

The Depressed World

This was a difficult world for people that had some life left in them. but the only world imaginable for most people, to whom it feels perfectly natural. It is a life make for, and by them. A democracy of idiots.

Back when I was working in Silicon Valley, in the Nineties, I knew something was wrong with me, and I had therapists to help me figure out what was wrong. One of them told me I was depressed, and I would have to take an antidepressant to fix this. He recommended Prozac.

He did not say that the problem was Silicon Valley itself. No one was saying this, but looking back at it, this was certainly true. In the next 20 years, nearly all of the Computer companies in the Valley went out of business.  Everyone was noticing this, but could not imagine why it was happening.

The reason this was happening was simple: they did not know what they were doing. And all these companies (hundreds of them) were replaced by Apple, Google, Amazon, and Microsoft.

I left the country and moved to Costa Rica, where people still mattered.

I could have become part of the Revolution in Software Development, and stayed in the States, but I was not smart enough to see what was going on. At one point I had to wear white gloves to protect my hands from the sun.

Work problems had caused medical problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment