Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Pity the Poor English Major

When I worked as a Technical Writer (from 1980 to 2000) most of my fellow-writers were English Majors - who had no jobs after they graduated, and out of desperation, became techwriters. To make themselves feel better, they pretended this was a deliberate career choice - and went to monthly meetings of their professional society - dressed in their best business suits.

My background was different - I had been an Electronic Engineer, put out of work by the Transistor. But I became a techwriter for the same reason - I had to have a job. Later, I had worked as a programmer - and then specialized in software documentation. I never wore a suit.

Now, 13 years after I left Silicon Valley - I study programming as a hobby, and read Literature and Poetry, as a hobby.

I find these two (writing programs and writing writing) enhance each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment