Thursday, November 9, 2017

To be Successful, You Have to Be Stupid

Or at least, seem to be stupid.

Obviously, this is not true in every situation. But it was true in most organizations that I worked in - back when I was working. And I was one unhappy dude.

It never occurred to me that I should build a life that was good for me. I just assumed, if I did whatever people wanted me to do - I was doing the right thing, and I had to be happy. Whether
I felt that way, or not.

I had plenty of therapists (and other advisors) but none of them told me, my problems were caused by other people. Heavens no! All of my problems were caused by me. Society could not be changed, and I would have to change instead. How I would change, was up to me - they could not help me with that.

People back then (from the middle of the 19th Century to the middle of the 20th Century) were supposed act like machines - which some people could do, and some people could not. Those that could, found their place in the social machinery, and were considered productive persons - because they made the machinery work better. Or at least seem to work better.

But one thing was lacking - the ability to think about what was going on in the world - and where it was going. Everyone insisted that the way things were, was fine, and should not be changed.

They had a simple diagnosis for my problems - I was depressed! And they had pills that would cure me of that.

They were wrong - they were the problem, and my solution was simple - I left them, and moved to Costa Rica.

No comments:

Post a Comment