Thursday, November 23, 2017

Suicide is Depressing

They Were Soldiers: How the Wounded Return from America's Wars

Suicide has different effects on you - depending your emotional distance from it. When my ex-wife killed herself - after five years of marriage, and two years of living with almost no contact - and it took me thirty years to recover. Most of that time, I was not aware that I was suffering - but deep down, I was. 

This book records many suicides, but many more veterans - wounded in every possible way - including emotional wounds. Reading about them, over and over - you become numb to them. 

I had a friend once, who had survived the Vietnam War - with minor injuries, from when he was searching a house, with an explosive charge hidden in it. But the emotional injuries, caused by committing crimes against humanity, were far worse. 

His emotional problems began before the War, and continued after the War - but the War made them much worse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment