Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Property Rights in Nicaragua

I did some traveling in Nicaragua soon after I starting living in Costa Rica. I did a lot of traveling, trying to find a place I wanted to live in permanently.

It didn't take me long to discover that Nicaragua was not one of those places. Anytime anyone developed a new kind of business - someone else grabbed it from them, sometimes killing them in the process. This was especially true in the Caribbean lowlands, where conditions were unbelievably bad.

I met a man there who had worked in the States, and learned the cable TV business. He returned to Nicaragua and built his own network, perfectly legally. As soon as he got it working, and making some money from it - other people took it from him, illegally - but there was nothing he could do about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment