Thursday, August 2, 2018

Another Medical Emergency


And my friend Ray comes to the rescue again.

He is an American RN, fluent in Spanish, and we share the same house. This time I fell down, on the sidewalk, only a block from our house, and messed up my face. So Ray took me to the nearest medical clinic, and got my face sewn up. There was plenty of blood, but I was just barely conscious of what was going on.

Now I am back home again, in an apartment, in the back of our house, with excellent Internet service, and blogging away - telling the world all about my latest adventure, that I can just barely remember.

Costa Rica does have a good public medical service (CAJA) - not an excellent service, because that would cost too much , but a miracle, as it is. Every hospital is surrounded by clinics, that offer services, the hospital cannot provide - such as Funeral services. Everything is taken care of - for a reasonable price, by American standards.

I should also state, that all this is provided, with an abundance of paper work, that will try the patience of anyone used to more efficient processing. Efficiency is not one of the Latin American virtues - and they cannot see, why it should be.

For them everything is personal - and they cannot imagine any values that are not. Such as abstract concepts of Space and Time. Down here, distances are measured. from some local landmark
(using a lot of words) - not the street address and the number of the house - that are common Up North.

They like verbose explanations of everything - nothing simple for them.


No comments:

Post a Comment