Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Self-Development and the Church

I had my own therapist, as soon as I left home and went to college.

He was my cousin, four years older than me, and we grew up together, along the banks of the Mississippi river. His family's house, and my family's house were only mile apart. His mother and my mother were sisters. And both were members of the same RLDS church.

He believed in Self-Development (any educated person did) and he believed in the Church - both!

Looking back at it, this seems strange - but it seemed perfectly natural, at the time.

I had a job as an Electronic Engineer, working all over the Midwest, and I would travel long distances, on weekends - to visit him. I had to have my therapy!

What did this therapy consist of? That's a hard question to answer, but he was an authority figure for me - and everyone seemed to find this acceptable. No further explanation was necessary.

He was keeping me safe in the fold (of the Church) and enhancing my Personal Growth - simultaneously! Who could argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment