Thursday, August 23, 2018

I Run a Group in San Diego

Back when I was a Tech Writer, I worked for awhile, in the late Eighties, with several companies in San Diego.

I shared an office with other writer, who kept saying he wanted to be part of a group, that would do some intense interaction. I got tired of his complaining, and told him to get the people for this group, and I would arrange for some place for them to meet.

So he went ahead, and advertised in some of the local new-age newspapers, announcing the formation of this new group. Twenty people signed up, right away.

I was living in a new apartment, in a new part of town - so my apartment would be a good place to meet. We could sit on the floor of my living room, in a big circle, and talk to each other.

We had only one rule - only one person would talk at a time, and everyone else would listen to whatever he (or she) had to say. It worked!

The other writer, who was so anxious to start a group, never showed up. And I discovered later, that his life did not do too well. And he went from bad to worse.

Our little group was doing fine (we had some really interesting people it it), until I lost my job and had to leave San Diego. The town had gone through a huge, uncontrolled growth period - and it was no longer a good place to live.

In fact, this was happening all over Southern California (Los Angeles, being a case in point) - and I decided I had to get out. And moved to Silicon Valley, up north.

No comments:

Post a Comment