Sunday, August 19, 2018

Things cannot be fixed, and should not be fixed

I think this is the prevailing mood of the day. And is in stark contrast to the mood earlier in the 20th Century - when people wanted to build a better world, and were convinced this was possible.

I experienced this change personally, as part of the Sixties - a complicated movement that has never been explained adequately. But it believed that people were important!

We now believe people are not important - but do not say this very loudly, hoping it will not be noticed.

There are good reasons we do not say this very loudly - because it is such a shocking thing to say. But it is said anyway - and acted on.

I noticed this, when I was working in Silicon Valley in. the Nineties, for a company called Adaptec. This company was formed by an immigrant from Eastern Europe, who arrived with only $20 in his pockets. By the Eighties, his company was worth millions. Because of the Personal Computer (PC).

This takes some explaining. IBM invented the PC, a huge thing, three feet tall, two feet deep, and a foot wide. It didn't do much, out of the box - and you had to buy adapters to make it do anything special, such as talk to the Internet.

I had one. If I wanted it to do more, I took it a shop that specialized in PC upgrades, and they installed a new adapter in it. I picked it up the next day. This was state-of-the-art - at the time.

But then the Laptop came along, and changed everything.

Adaptec should have gone out of business, right then. But what happened, under the table - was sneaky. It was bought out, by new management - who proceeded to milk it, for all it was worth.

I was working for Adaptec, at the time - and no one I knew, realized what was going on. It was so cleverly managed.

It is no wonder, people now believe that something else, is in control - and cannot be opposed. This is simply the way it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment