Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Are People getting Stupider, or is the World getting Harder to Understand?

Speaking for myself, I definitely got stupider, in Silicon Valley in the Nineties. But so did the whole area. When I moved to Costa Rica, I gradually got better.

This worked for me, but it has not worked for most of the Gringos, who came to Costa Rica, hoping to build a new life for themselves. Most of them went back, having learned nothing. And most of the ones who stayed, have done poorly, mentally.

When I visit relatives, back in my hometown of Ft. Madison, Iowa, I am struck by how poorly they have adapted to the huge changes in their world.
,
I have a cousin who was a dyke, dressed the part, and was proud of her role in life. But she aged poorly, and ended up being nothing, unable to care for the house she inherited from her parents.

The part of town her parents lived in, has become a slum, where only the destitute live. The company she worked for, the Santa Fe Railroad, has also fallen on hard times, and many of its jobs have disappeared.

Anyone with smarts has left town. And that means the ones who have stayed - are not too bright.

What about those who stayed in Silicon Valley, that now includes Seattle? If they were lucky, they learned the Java programming language - and all the other programming tools that soon arrived/after it. But of all the guys I knew in the Valley, none of them went this route.

The lucky ones were maybe one percent of the population. But they have done very well, and are now part of the Software Revolution that is sweeping the world.

This means the rest of the population (99 percent) have no idea what is going on

In a word, they are stupid.

No comments:

Post a Comment