Sunday, November 4, 2018

Being Good for People

I spent 20 years of my life (1980-200) being good to computers - or actually, being good for the Computer Industry, helping it along. And it benefited greatly.

But I cannot say the same for myself, or all the other people involved in it. We did not do very well, as people.

"What," You may say, "What about the money you guys were making?". Most people were making less, but you were making more! True, but as has been remarked many times, money is not everything. It is not even close to being everything. I will explain.

While I am writing this, I am also learning TensorFlow, the latest software from Google, who also has a training program for learning it. As I flip back and forth between the two tabs, one containing the Blogger program, I am using to write this - and the TensorFlow training program, I am aware of the two different personalities using them.

I have to think differently (I have to be a different person) depending on what I want to do, or what World, I am in. And the Computer World is another world, like no other world we have been in before. As we go into it, we are entering foreign territory, and become new people - not necessarily better people.

"I don't want to think about this!" You are probably saying, and in fact, are doing (or not doing). And most people feel the same way. Let the World go to Hell, and concentrate on saving yourself.

As I am writing this, an article on Meme Warfare plopped into my inbox. This explains the situation, better than I can, and makes me realize I am not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment