Saturday, March 9, 2019

Being Stupid is Getting Even

Most people have become stupid - why?

I think they are getting even with a world that has treated them badly.

This will sound like a strange reason, for people who are wealthier than ever. But it is not so strange when you consider what people really want in life. Which is to be treated decently.

We have to consider the superficial aspect of life, as contrasted with its fundamental aspect.

Superficially, Americans have it made. They have the best houses in the world and the finest cars. But they also have the highest levels of stress. In fact, they invented the idea, and the rest of the world is looking to them, to further refine its definitions and treatments.

Silicon Valley (a real place) is where these contradictions are being worked out. The stress there was too much for me, and I moved to Costa Rica. Everyone there understood my reason for moving. and wished me the best.

But when they realized I was building a new life for myself, down here, they lost interest. They wanted to stay up there, with its problems solved for them.

They needed the American Life, with all its imperfections, and would accept none other.

I watch this going on (with the election of Trump) and it is my turn to wish them the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment