Monday, March 25, 2019

Stupidity

I don't want to write about this because I am pretty stupid myself. So stupid it embarrasses me to think about it.

But human stupidity does exist, and we have to take it into consideration.

We are not only stupid, but we are also willing to take advantage of it in others.

And not only in others but in ourselves. And this is worth thinking of - how we take advantage of our own stupidity,

I can best handle this by telling a story, about the last time I visited the States. I lived with a cousin, who lives in Northern Virginia, in the DC area. This is the area chosen by Amazon for its second headquarters. A smart choice, because it was close to the Pentagon, that is loaded with money.

I have a childhood friend, from Ft. Madison, Iowa, who made his fortune there. And I hoped to meet him again.

My cousin lives in an affluent area, by the intersection of two four-lane roads, and across from a shopping center containing the largest supermarket, I have ever seen. My cousin was mainly interested in its selection of wines, which occupied an entire aisle of the store.

Every day, he looks for bargains there, and always buys a bottle. We got to taste his selection, every evening for dinner. And I was always impressed with his selection.

This shopping center also contained a Starbucks store, that I was interested in. But not my cousin, who had an entirely different attitude toward Coffee than he did for Wine. When he bought Coffee, he wanted it cheap, and he wanted to buy it from his truck. He was not interested in how it tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment