Saturday, October 26, 2019

Enterprise

This has been the curse of my life: Big Business. Also the Military. And I have worked for both.

The country I live in now: Costa Rica has no military. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much in the way of business either.

The nearest large town, Cartago, has four McDonalds and two Walmarts, and they are busy. But the little town I live in, Orosi, has nothing. There is no money here, and no one notices this. All we have is Tourist Buses, looking at us.

The transition to the present economy in the States began in the Fifties when I was in college studying to become an Electronic Engineer.  My father had been a small businessman, he owned a photography studio. He made plenty of money during WWII, but soon after that, he made nothing.

I made good money building Radar Stations to detect Soviet nuclear bombers that never came. This was a nice mix of Private Enterprise and the Military - and the Cold War. And Big Business.

These Radar Stations cost a lot of money. The latest one, the FPS-35, now sits in a State Park in Montauk, Long Island.

It was full of Vacuum Tubes. When these were replaced by the Transistor, my career was over and I moved into Computers.

This became Big Business also with five companies: Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook. They all had a problem (and still have a problem) with Ethics.

Software (the stuff that makes the Computer run) has no Ethics problem - because, by the nature of the stuff it cannot. Only Hardware can be unethical.

And Hardware was invented by the Industrial Revolution. That we may be graduating from.

No comments:

Post a Comment