Sunday, October 20, 2019

Stupid or Crazy?

We need different words to describe our human inadequacies, of which there are many.

I am reading Rebooting AI that does a good job of this. It makes me say "I wish more people would read this!" But I know most people are not interested in what it has to say.

Which makes me ask myself what has gone wrong with the human species. This book says our obsession with AI is our latest handicap, and it makes a strong case for this.

I will use my brother as an example. As a boy, he knew how badly he was being treated, and ran away from home twice. He was the smartest one (and the stubbornest one) in our family.

He went to college and became a music teacher. Then taught on the Navaho reservation and became an organizer for the BIA (Bureau of Indian Affairs) teacher's union. He went back to college and became a lawyer (so he could be a better union organizer).

But by then he was married with children and had to support them. He became a partner in a successful law firm, a workaholic, and a conservative politically. He now supports Trump.

Can you see a pattern here? It's a common one, where people in difficult situations support leaders who claim to solve their problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment