Friday, August 25, 2017

Suckered Into Being a Savior

Poor Jesus, crucified to save mankind!

But he didn't end up so bad off - he became part of the Christian deity (as Christ). And is worshipped by millions of Christians everywhere.

Christianity was successful because it recognized something important in human nature - our eagerness to sacrifice ourselves for a higher good. Usually religious in nature.

The history of how this belief became part of Christianity, then medieval Europe, and then the Modern world - is much more than I can go into here. But it happened - and this is where we are now.

When I was working in Silicon Valley, in the Nineties, I looked at all the craziness around me - and said to myself "Business has become our new religion!"

And not only that - Software has become a new religion. And one I am worshipping myself.

I have spent hundred of dollars on Windows 10 computers. Only to realize, that I have ended up with nothing! Yes, boys and girls, Windows 10 is nothing much - and you can quote me on that. It reminds me of the Titanic - the perfect ship, that ended up on the bottom of the ocean.

For example - Visual Studio, Microsoft's excellent IDE, cannot be installed in Windows 10! At least in low-end machines. However, I could install it, easily enough, on my low-end Windows 7 computer.

I have been suckered into supporting Windows 10 - thinking that, since it was the latest version - it was better! The same is true of Android - I bought the latest version, thinking it would be better for me, when it was not.

And while am bad-mouthing software's sacred cows - I might as mention its holy of holies - the Cloud! I have written plenty about how great it is - but now I have been baptized in its waters, I don't feel so pure.

Software is written by people, and some of them (at the highest levels) are not so pure.

No comments:

Post a Comment