Saturday, August 19, 2017

The Denial of the Bad

One of the first things I realized about the world I was born into - was that it was a bad world. And then, to my surprise, I realized I was not supposed to know this!

You may object that my characterization of the world as bad - is too much of a simplification. And it certainly is. The world is very complicated (complex, actually) and is full of good and bad things. But I still believe one can (and must) put them all in a balance - and come to an overall verdict - good or bad!

And, at the same time, I realize most people are adamantly opposed to this. We are not supposed to judge our world - they say. And those who do, will not get their approval!

This inability to judge the world, also means they are unable to do all kinds of things. They are, in a word, incompetent people - that make a mess of everything - and consider that the right way to be!

But not all people are this way, a growing number want to fix things - such as in Tragic Design: The Impact of Bad Product Design and How to Fix It. One of the authors, Cynthia Savard Saucier - has become a leader in this movement.

I bought her book.

No comments:

Post a Comment