Friday, April 20, 2018

Ray Comes to the Rescue

Last week, during my weekly shopping trip to the nearest large town of Cartago, I used an ATM to get some local cash (in Colones). I thought I asked for $100 worth, but I made a mistake and asked for $400, instead. I ended up with far more Colones than I needed - and only $200 in my Wells Fargo bank account - not enough to last me for the rest of the month.

I couldn't put Colones back in the ATM, to replenish my bank account. But I had a bright idea - ask my friend Ray to transfer money from his American bank, to my Wells Fargo account. His bank needed all kinds of information, to be able to make the transfer. My account number, and my bank's routing number - and everything else associated with my account.

Ray fed all this to his bank, and asked that $200 be transferred to my account. Today, two days later, I have his $200 in my account - for a total of $230. Enough to get me through - until payday, two weeks from now. Today I will pay him back, in Colones.

Social Security should have cost-of-living increases - but the Republicans have turned this off. And this means I will have to be extra careful with my spending, in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment