Monday, April 30, 2018

How U2F Destroyed my Phone

U2F is a marvelous new technology that improves the security on your laptop. I bought the little dongle, from Amazon for $20, plugged into a USB port on my Windows 7 laptop, and followed the instructions that appeared on the screen.

It installed some software on my laptop, and on my Android phone, in only a few seconds, and was done! I got an email from Google, thanking me for installing two-factor authorization.

Then I got a message saying, to really be secure, I should install screen-lock on my phone. So I did, and my phone died! I took it to my Cellular provider, and they said they needed a special 4-digital number to  fix it. I had no idea what that number could be - and decided I could live without a phone instead.

Which I am doing, without too much trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment