Friday, December 7, 2018

My New Chromebook

My Lenovo Windows 10 laptop was giving me lots of problems. I needed another laptop, but it had to be inexpensive. Amazon had a Samsung Chromebook 3 for $150. That was cheap! I decided to give it a try.

For must people, who use a computer (or a Phone) mainly to do their email. This Chromebook will be entirely adequate, and has a larger display. You can use My Drive, Google's drive in the Cloud, to transfer files easily between your computers.

Gmail comes with the Chrome browser. I can also use the Blogger app, the same as before. But you cannot use Microsoft apps, some of which are very useful.

The Character Map, for example. Which has the characters used by every language in world. I use it manly to insert Spanish characters my English documents, such as the titles of photos. There is another app, to make online currency conversions - such as between the Costa Rica Colone and the American Dollar.

The first thing I noticed was that the trackpad was hard to use. So I plugged in a wireless mouse. That used up one if my two available USB ports but it did work much better. The other USB port is used for a Headset, so I can hear and talk on the Internet - or on apps, such as Skype. 

And I learned somethings else, that was something of a shock - the Chromebook was not designed for Software Developers, that have to work with many files, all the time. Since I do this, as a hobby - this was a big drawback.


No comments:

Post a Comment