Monday, December 31, 2018

Thinking about My Problem

The doctor I saw at the hospital was pleased that she had a diagnosis for my problem. But it seems less of a diagnosis to me, than a convenient label.

This is true of most mental diseases. For only a handful, are the causes known, and treatments available. And in that way, my problem is clearly mental. But like many mental diseases, it has a strong effect on the body - it destroys my ability to walk.

I have seen this happen to other people - their mental disease makes it nearly impossible for them to walk. They may deny they have a mental disease, but their difficulty walking shows that to do have one.

I am thinking back to when I was lying on the sidewalk, face down - unable to do much of anything. I could not talk, walk, or think.

The definition of a seizure, states that abnormal activity is going on in the brain during a seizure. This has never been directly observed, but inferred from things than can be observed, in the body, or mental functioning.

It was perfectly clear to everyone standing around me on the sidewalk, that something very serious was going on. All the doctor did was give it a name.

Afterward, I had plenty of bruises - especially in my right hand. I must have put it out to brake my fall. And my thinking ability is still impaired. I bought some groceries yesterday, but left some of them behind.

It is very difficult for most people to admit, there are diseases, for which there is no cure. Such as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment