Monday, July 20, 2020

Uncle Lee

He was not my Uncle at all, but my Mother maintained an elaborate story, pretending he was. 

Now that she is dead and buried, I can finally reveal her elaborate cover-up story, involving a woman who died before I was born. 

My Mother's family came from Nova Scotia (they were Loyalists, who had the supported the Crown, and were forced to leave, and abandon their property, for which they were given property in Nova Scotia). 

Eventually. one daughter came to Boston, ane married into the rich Fisher family. I don't even know her name. This family owned a Business College. A new ideat at the time, that increased their wealth. 

She sent for her brother to teach shorthand at the Business College. He married one of his students, who had recently immigrated from England, and she became my Mother's mother, my grandmother. They bought a new home in Summerville, a suburb of Boston. They had it made!

But grandmother had a dream where she saw Boston going up in flames, and heard a voice telling her "Flee to Zion!" 

They moved to Independence, Missouri, where grandfather got a job working in the financial district in Kansas City. Their move had been a success, at least for Grandmother! 

Their next move was nor a financial success -  to Nauvoo, Illinois. Where Grandfather died. My Mother was only a young woman at the time, but she took this hard, and got married herself; to Harold Smith in Ft. Madison, Iowa. Where I was born in 1936, in the depths of the Depression!

My father had joined the Marine Corp and served from 1930-34 in Haiti and had a Haitian Girlfriend to which he wrote many passionate love letters (in French). 

When my mother's family moved to Nauvoo, rhe Sister from Nova Scotia moved there also and her husband became my Uncle Lee!  You might want to read that again, because everything depends on it. 

It's the final ending of a mystery story, with my mother in the middle of it.

Let me make another pass at this. the man I knew as Uncle Lee was the husband if the Sister of my Grandfather.

No comments:

Post a Comment