Tuesday, October 24, 2017

I Create an Alternative Reality

Yesterday, I went to a local fast-food eatery (called a Soda down here). This is operated by a Mother, who changed part of her house into a Soda, because it location was so good (on the main drag, right next to the supermarket).

When I started living in Orosi, five years ago, this business was successful, and served the many Gringos who lived here.

But the Gringos moved away, and her business was reduced to local people, who did not have so much money. She also had grown children, who lived with her - and were economically dependent on her. Her income had gone down - and her expenses had gone up.

She had invented a Hamburguesa pollo (chicken hamburger) that I really liked. I was afraid she would go out of business. So instead of paying 1500 Colones for one of these, I paid 2000 - and became her patron saint! She had no idea what was going on - but she knew something had happened - and she let everyone know also.

When I walked into this Soda yesterday, there was only one person there, an elderly woman who was the assistant to the Mother. She knew what I wanted, and started to make the Hamburguesa. And the place started to fill up with people! Her youngest daughter knew I was somehow responsible for this - and she looked at me strangely.

This can be seen as a chance occurrence - but something similar had happened a few days before. I called my Barber, to find if he was open - he said he would be in 30 minutes, about two in the afternoon. When I showed up, I was the only person there. His business had suffered recently because new Barber Shops had opened in town - and he was glad to see me. Five minutes after he had started to work on me - two more customers showed up - local guys with their motorcycle helmets!

I had the distinct feeling that they had followed me in - and I had created business, just because I was a Gringo! Everyone here assumes Gringos have money - and they want to be around more of that themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment