Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Voice Apps

The technology behind these is fantastic - the ability to understand spoken language, and to produce spoken language - in almost any language! But as a user interface, they are unnecessary.

We already have a bitmapped screen - where every location on the screen is under software control. It can draw special areas (such as a button) on the screen, and tell when the user clicks on them (or touches them). It can respond by doing almost anything - if I ask about the latest hurricane, for example - I can get a video of it, in action. If I want to see naked, dancing women - I can see (and hear) all I want of them.

An interface where the user makes verbal commands (what is the weather?) - and where the computer responds verbally (the weather is such and such) is not very exciting - by comparison. 

No comments:

Post a Comment