Wednesday, October 4, 2017

We are Making the Computer Better - at What?

Every day, my inbox is crowded with people wanting to tell me how to make the Computer (or actually its Software) - better! Or at least more profitable.

I have to use my tired old brain to sort the wheat from the chaff. Which is not easy.

Take Angular, important new software. When the user sees a screen full of data that the Computer has sent him, he sees the many components of that screen. Gradually, he has become able to pick out the important components (a button, for example) and to react to them. Using Angular, the Computer is able concentrate on each component, and react to it - instead of the whole screen. That's all!

How it does this, is not simple - all kinds of things are happening, at the same time. But this software makes it easy for it to distinguish between tasks - switch from one task to another in microseconds - which, to the user, seems like no time at all!

How to program all this? I am taking an online course from the Code School, that is teaching me how to do this - one step at a time, each step carefully illustrated. If I was much younger (forty years, or so) and still working as a programmer - I could turn this learning into money!

I tell this to some of my young friends - but they are not getting the message. They just want new wheels for their skateboards!

No one has realized, that things have changed - and they have to change too.


No comments:

Post a Comment