Saturday, October 7, 2017

Nate has Wrecked the Local Economy

Nate is the tropical storm, that has swept northward through Central America - and is now a Hurricane threatening the southern coasts of the US.

Costa Rica decided to close all government offices, in response to this emergency - but leave the banks open. As a result, the banks are barely functioning.

Most ATMs are closed - and the few that remain open, have long lines of people in front of them - who desperately need to get some money!

I was in these lines on Thursday and Friday - but could only get $100, not the $300 I needed to pay this month's rent.

I could use my debit card (from an American bank) to buy my groceries at a Walmart store. But this is mostly a cash economy, using money in small denominations.

Today, I will have to buy something locally, to get change for my 20,000 Colones bills (about $40, big money down here).

No comments:

Post a Comment